I have a "co-worker" that is always negative. Let's call her Negative Nancy. No matter what you say, she will find a negative in it. I say "I love my new neighbors. They made us cookies" Nancy says, "I hate my neighbors. They are plotting against me. I baked them cookies, and no one said thank you."
The latest negative?
Me, "I had such a great day today! I took baby outside for a walk in the morning, I pushed him in his swing, and spent the whole day outside while diapers were drying."
Nancy, "Line drying is so nasty. Why would you expose your child to that!?!"
So it got me thinking. (I find it's best just not to respond to someone who always thinks the are right.)
I sat there and thought. Are there really people who think that line drying is gross? Who are these people? What do they believe in? And really, is line drying gross.
Let's look at the pros and cons. I did some research online and took my own common sense. :) Here's what I came up with.
1. Saving electricity. It was a rule in my house growing up that if we wanted to run the air during the summer, we had to hang our clothes out on the line to offset the cost.
2. Extra exercise. Walking the clothes out, bending and stretching. It's all good for the body. Every little bit helps to burn off that baby fat.
3. Safer. You never have to worry about the clothesline catching on fire because you forgot to empty the lint trap. (You should never leave the house while your dryer is running! Huge fire risk)
4. Disinfectant and stain remover. Ultraviolet light from the sun disinfects, and takes stains right out! I didn't really believe this one until I had a really bad stained diaper that didn't have a stain on it after being out in the sun for two hours!
5. It can help clean up the air inside of your house! See here for more info. (It's tip H)
6. Better on your clothes. The fabric holds up longer. Dryer lint is a thin layer that has been sheared from your clothes. The high heat can also create havoc on clothes. The perfect jeans can end up in the back of the closet until you lose another twenty pounds.
7. Encourages you to only have attractive delicates/undergarments.
8. Smells great! I love the smell of freshly laundered, line dried sheets!
*What other pros can you think of?*
1. Bugs. Potential for bugs (and birds) to linger and/or leave you a reminder of their visit.
2. Takes more time to walk outside and hang the clothes up. (oh boo whoo. This should be removed as a con. Exercise is good for you)
3. There may be rules/regulations in your community.
4. If you need an item right away, you are out of luck.
*What other cons can you think of?*
I want to know your opinion. What do you think?
To line dry, or not to line dry?
That is the question.