Pages

Sunday, October 10, 2010

To line dry, or not to line dry.


I have a "co-worker" that is always negative. Let's call her Negative Nancy. No matter what you say, she will find a negative in it. I say "I love my new neighbors. They made us cookies" Nancy says, "I hate my neighbors. They are plotting against me. I baked them cookies, and no one said thank you."

*sigh*

The latest negative?

Me, "I had such a great day today! I took baby outside for a walk in the morning, I pushed him in his swing, and spent the whole day outside while diapers were drying."

Nancy, "Line drying is so nasty. Why would you expose your child to that!?!"

So it got me thinking. (I find it's best just not to respond to someone who always thinks the are right.)

I sat there and thought. Are there really people who think that line drying is gross? Who are these people? What do they believe in? And really, is line drying gross.

Let's look at the pros and cons. I did some research online and took my own common sense. :) Here's what I came up with.

Pros:
1. Saving electricity. It was a rule in my house growing up that if we wanted to run the air during the summer, we had to hang our clothes out on the line to offset the cost.
2. Extra exercise. Walking the clothes out, bending and stretching. It's all good for the body. Every little bit helps to burn off that baby fat.
3. Safer. You never have to worry about the clothesline catching on fire because you forgot to empty the lint trap. (You should never leave the house while your dryer is running! Huge fire risk)
4. Disinfectant and stain remover. Ultraviolet light from the sun disinfects, and takes stains right out! I didn't really believe this one until I had a really bad stained diaper that didn't have a stain on it after being out in the sun for two hours!
5. It can help clean up the air inside of your house! See here for more info. (It's tip H)
6. Better on your clothes. The fabric holds up longer. Dryer lint is a thin layer that has been sheared from your clothes. The high heat can also create havoc on clothes. The perfect jeans can end up in the back of the closet until you lose another twenty pounds.
7. Encourages you to only have attractive delicates/undergarments.
8. Smells great! I love the smell of freshly laundered, line dried sheets!
*What other pros can you think of?*


Cons:
1. Bugs. Potential for bugs (and birds) to linger and/or leave you a reminder of their visit.
2. Takes more time to walk outside and hang the clothes up. (oh boo whoo. This should be removed as a con. Exercise is good for you)
3. There may be rules/regulations in your community.
4. If you need an item right away, you are out of luck.
*What other cons can you think of?*

I want to know your opinion. What do you think?

To line dry, or not to line dry?

That is the question.

10 comments:

  1. I would definitely line dry if I had a backyard!

    I found your blog through the ‘follow me’ thread on the cloth diapering forums and added you on GFC. Please consider following me back at my new blog and entering my cloth diaper giveaway!

    http://rachelsgiveaways.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it depends on where you live. I live in the desert in Arizona, where it can be quite dusty. I don't always hang my diapers out to dry, but if I do, I have to be careful to do it on a day that isn't windy or else the diapers come in dirtier than they went out!

    Also following you from Cloth Diapering Bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Following from the Ning group...stop by and follow back. http://www.tushtales.com

    As for line drying, it just depends on my mood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't line dry but when I was a kid, my mom always did when the weather was nice!

    I'm your newest follower and would love for you to stop by and follow me as well!

    Cheers from Being Frugal & Making It Work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine what horrible thing you would be exposing your baby to...the commenter probably couldn't even give you a good reason to back up her own statement. Sadly, some people just cannot respond to others positively.

    Following you from the Friday Blog Hop.
    www.RaisingKnights.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. My only argument for hanging clothes on line is that it makes me feel good to see them wafting in the breeze and a sense of satisfaction. Judith (Precious Moments)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi!

    visiting from Friday's blog hop and just became your new follower. You have a great blog, looking forward to getting to know you better. Hope you'll stop by to visit me and consider following me back! Have a great weekend.
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a new follower from a blog hop! Would love for you to check out my blog and follow back!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love line dried clothes BUT it's not always the best thing if you have allergies! My son and I have lots of allergies (mine being to trees, dust, grass, pollen, etc) so line drying doesn't work for us. If no allergies or sensitivities, I can't think of any cons!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do not line draw, because I have not wash cloths more. But I think that is nice to put then wafting in the sun... Stay well. I'm your follower now! Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete